When I was in my early 20s I suffered from depression. It began in my teens and by 21 I couldn’t take the pain any more I had to do something, anything to make the tears stop. I thought I would share with you the steps I took.
- I read every self-help book I could get my hands on. Some helped, some didn’t. Almost every one had a little piece of something I could incorporate into my life to help. A little baby step. Read every self- help book in our public library.
- I wrote in my journal every day. I used assignments from the books. Some days I just mind dumped on to the pages. I still have that stack of cheap notebooks with every page filled. Sometimes a read a few pages and think about how far I have come and remember what a struggle it was.
- I walked and went to the gym everyday. The stronger my body got the stronger I felt. I still exercise every day for the mental health benefits.
- I went to counseling. I’ll admit I only went to a few sessions. It was nice to talk about the sadness without holding anything back.
- I pushed myself to do those 4 things above. Even when I didn’t want to. And that was almost everyday in the beginning.
It worked for me! I am happy to say! It didn’t happen over night. I don’t remember how long it took. I am thinking years, I began to see the light at the end of the tunnel in a few weeks.