Road To Your Next Decision
Here some ideas for making good decisions. Not every decision will require all of these steps, but the big ones will.
- Define the goal or problem you need to make a decision about. Be careful not to base your decision on the surface issues. Be honest with yourself. What is the source of the problem? Who is involved? What role is your past playing in this?
- Trying looking from a different perspectives. What is your head telling you? What does your heart have to say? What is your gut shouting?
- Brain storm ideas about what to do? Take out pen and paper, list every idea that pops into your head. All of them, no matter how silly or impossible. You might be surprised what a silly idea can lead to.
- Do your research. Once you decide on a couple of ideas that might work do the research. Hit the library and the internet. Is it possible? What are the requirements? What will I need? What will it cost? Where could I get the money? Who’s help will I need ? Are they willing to help? What resources are out there to assist me?
- The old pro and con list is always a helpful tool for decision making
- Gather information from the proper sources. Consult with professionals and the experts. Your friend who is a gardener most likely doesn’t know the steps you need to take to become an accountant. If you need to talk to college advisors, bankers, or lawyers do so.
- A cost & benefit analysis could be helpful. What is the benefit to you and others? What will the cost be (financial, physical, emotional, time)? Is the benefit worth the cost?
- Journal about your fears or limitations. These can play a big part in carrying out your decision. Be honest about this and look for solutions to these issues.
- It is alright to talk to friends and family at this point. BUT only the ones who you know understand what you are trying to accomplish, will be honest, and know you well. Remember they will have a stake in the out come because of their relationship with you. So take their advise with a pinch of salt.
- Make a decision!